INFORMATION ABOUT THE 2021 SUMMER GRASSHOPPER SEASON IS COMING SOON
- What: Summer Grasshoppers
- When: June-July
- Grades: Incoming 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th graders
- Level: All levels, from beginner to experienced
- 11 Locations: Bexley, Dublin, Grove City, Hilliard, Lancaster, Marysville, New Albany, Pickerington, Powell, Upper Arlington, and Westerville
- Price: $155 (need-based scholarships are available - click here for info)
- Perks: Club members receive membership in the RRCA, entry into all Grasshopper races, a racing singlet, a Grasshoppers shirt, a season of fun with a season-completition medal, and an awards party. We'll also be sending out weekly coaching emails to compliment everything that takes place at our practices and races.
CLUB HANDBOOK: SCHEDULES, EXPECTATIONS, AND MORE
Our handbooks contain all info for the season, including our schedule, rules, and more. Click on your location to access your handbook: Bexley (awaiting site approval), Dublin, Grove City, Hilliard, Lancaster, Marysville, New Albany, Pickerington, Powell, Upper Arlington (awaiting site approval), Westerville
Before getting into the frequently asked questions, please be sure to read through our annual club handbook. This handbook lays out most details and includes our schedule, location info, and more - including our COVID precautions and the related club rules.
- Q: What is the club expectation for kids who take part?
- A: More than anything, we want kids who want to run. This isn't a sport that can be forced. Our summer season is ideal for any kids who are first getting started, while our spring and fall seasons are suited to kids who have experience with a running program and who have run 2 miles continuously. Anyone can take part in the summer program as long as they're excited to put an effort in and join us on the run.
- Q: What does a summer practice look like?
- A: Practice is often broken down into a warmup, a run, an active game, and a cool down, with a lesson on something like running form or pacing thrown in along the way. Each practice is 1 hour long.
- Q: What races will you be running?
- A: The summer club will be racing in two ways. First, coaches will host mini races at several practices. Second, for those looking for a big race day experience, we'll host several larger races that members of all of our summer Grasshopper locations are invited to take part in. All larger races are listed on the club schedule in the handbook. All larger races for 2021 are still awaiting approval due to COVID regulations, so we'll update the site and the club handbooks as details are finalized in early summer. We will use our weekly coaching emails to keep parents up to date on all specifics.
- Q: My child takes part in other sports and/or has conflicting commitments. How flexible is the club with this?
- A: Kids at this age should experiment with a variety of sports and activities. We're flexible with busy schedules, and we'll provide coaching plans for kids who have to miss practices with the Grasshoppers.
- Q: We have a summer vacation planned. Can my child still take part if they miss some practices?
- A: Enjoy your vacation! And yes, your child can take part in the club before and after the vacation. Our summer season is focused on the individual - and since there's no team component, we're flexible with vacations and missed days.
Further questions? Contact us at [email protected]