Our spring season, like our fall season, is a more advanced program for kids looking to push themselves. The spring team is open to young runners in grades 3-6, and we'll be racing a schedule of 5k road races - with some mid-and-long distance track meets in the mix and the optional AEP Ohio Columbus 10K as our grand finale. This season is suited for experienced runners and kids must already be capable of running 2 miles in order to take part. We host one spring location, bringing kids together from the area for a fun, competitive season with a focus on racing.
March-June, 2023 (full schedule in handbook here)
Current 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th graders
Experienced youth runners (capable of running 2 miles on day 1)
One location, practicing from Highbanks MetroPark (our spring goal is to bring kids together from across central Ohio for one competitive-focused team)
$185 for early registrations, $195 for registrations from March 6-15 (need-based scholarships are available - click here for info)
Club members receive membership in the RRCA, entry into all Grasshopper races, a racing singlet, a Grasshoppers shirt, a CRC gift card, a season of fun with a season-completion medal, and an awards party. We'll also be sending out weekly coaching emails to compliment everything that takes place at our practices and races.
Want to learn more about the Grasshoppers spring season? Join us for a free info session on Sunday, February 26th at 5pm at the Powell CRC (141 Greenside St). RSVP for the info session here.
CLUB HANDBOOK: SCHEDULES, EXPECTATIONS, AND MORE:
Our handbook contains all info for the in-person season, including our schedule, rules, and more. Click here to access the 2023 club handbook.
Before getting into the frequently asked questions, please be sure to read through our annual club handbook. This handbook lays out most details and includes our schedule, location info, and more.
- Q: What is the club expectation for kids who take part?
- A: More than anything, we want kids who want to run. This isn't a sport that can be forced. Our summer season is ideal for any kids who are first getting started, but our spring and fall seasons are suited to kids who have experience with a running program and who have run 2 miles continuously.
- Q: Why one location during the spring?
- A: Our summer program is broad-based, and we host locations throughout central Ohio. During the spring and fall, our program becomes more specifically focused. As that focus sharpens and we move into our competitive seasons, we consolidate our attention to one location.
- Q: What races will you be running?
- A: Each spring, the kids will race occasional time trials at our practices, local road race 5ks, and a track meet or two. Our focus at the track meets is on the mid-and-long distance events. Our final event will be the AEP Ohio Columbus 10K in June. This race is optional, as we view the 10k distance as the "marathon" challenge for this age group.
- Q: My child takes part in other sports and/or has conflicting commitments. How flexible is the club with this?
- A: Kids at this age should experiment with a variety of sports and activities. We're flexible with busy schedules, and we'll provide coaching plans for kids who have to miss practices with the Grasshoppers. So yes, there's a place on our team for kids whose schedules don't allow for perfect attendance.
- Q: How competitive is the spring club?
- A: The level of competition is up to the individual. We'll have highly competitive kids who are here to push themselves and win races. We'll have kids who are motivated by fitness or social goals too. The beauty of our sport is how inclusive it is. We do ask that all participants push themselves to reach our training and racing distance goals. We will be honoring our MVPs, most improved runners, and our mental attitude winners at the end of the season, placing a premium on improvement and team-oriented attitudes.
Further questions? Contact us at [email protected]